Before the booking
- Connect with the family: With Chime's messaging feature, let the family know you’re excited for the sitting! Confirm any special needs, requests, and/or time concerns (i.e., is there a possibility for the sitting to run longer or be cut short?). Ask for an additional emergency contact numbers to be prepared.
When you first arrive
- Be on time: Punctuality is key to putting your best foot forward!
- Say Hi! Give a friendly hello and introduction to the family. Remember, the family chose YOU and is just as excited to meet you as you are to meet them:)
- Reconfirm any special care needs, requests, or routines: Staying aligned with family expectations goes a long way towards a successful experience for all!
During the sitting
- Be present: Engage with the child or children while they’re awake -- play games, read together, and most importantly - don’t be on your phone!
- Be prepared: Think ahead for the needs of the sitting. If you’re going to be outside, bring water if it’s hot and jackets if it’s chilly. If you’re going to have a long sitting, consider bringing snacks for yourself in case you get hungry. Keep in mind most sittings take place in the home, however, some may take place elsewhere, such as a hotel- it’s always a great idea to bring extra activities!
- Be available: Although you should stay off your phone, you should keep it on in case the parent needs to get in touch at some point during the booking.
- Be aware: Keeping a close eye on the children is critical for the safety of the children and success of a sitter. Take mental notes of anything that happens during the sitting that you think the parent should know about upon their return. Keeping an activity log of the day is a sure way to gain extra bonus points with a family!
- Go the extra mile: If the child is asleep, look around for anything additional you can assist with. Small gestures like tidying up the toys or cleaning up the dishes can really win a parent over. Remember: the parent will have the chance to review and rate the sitting, so these little things really add up!
When the night wraps up
- Let the parent know how the night went: Report any highlights or potential concerns up front, then head home!
- Update your booking: Sign into your account and confirm your start & end time. Keep in mind that you’re able to adjust start & end times if needed. Be sure to double check your times, as the incorrect submission of start/end times can delay the processing of your payment! Check out How do I close out a booking? for additional information.