Before the booking
- Reach out to the family. Let the family know you’re excited for the sitting! Confirm any special needs, requests, and/or time concerns (i.e., is there a possibility for the sitting to run longer or be cut short?). Ask for an additional emergency contact numbers to be prepared.
When you first arrive
- Be on time. Punctuality is key to putting your best foot forward!
- Say Hi! Give a friendly hello and introduction to the family. Remember, the family chose YOU and is just as excited to meet you as you are to meet them:)
- Reconfirm any special care needs, requests, or routines. Staying aligned with family expectations goes a long way towards a successful experience for all!
During the sitting
- Be present. Engage with the child or children while they’re awake -- play games, read together, and most importantly - don’t be on your phone!
- Be prepared. Think ahead for the needs of the sitting. If you’re going to be outside, bring water if it’s hot and jackets if it’s chilly. If you’re going to have a long sitting, consider bringing snacks for yourself in case you get hungry. Keep in mind most sittings take place in the home, however, some may take place elsewhere, such as a hotel- it’s always a great idea to bring extra activities!
- Be available. Although you should stay off your phone, you should keep it on in case the parent needs to get in touch at some point during the booking.
- Be aware. Keeping a close eye on the children is critical for the safety of the children and success of a sitter. Take mental notes of anything that happens during the sitting that you think the parent should know about upon their return. Keeping an activity log of the day is a sure way to gain extra bonus points with a family!
- Go the extra mile. If the child is asleep, look around for anything additional you can assist with. Small gestures like tidying up the toys or cleaning up the dishes can really win a parent over. Remember: the parent will have the chance to review and rate the sitting, so these little things really add up!
When the night wraps up
- Let the parent know how the night went. Report any highlights or potential concerns up front, then head home!
- Update your booking. Sign into your account and confirm your start & end time. Keep in mind that you’re able to adjust start & end times if needed. Be sure to double check your times, as the incorrect submission of start/end times can delay the processing of your payment! Check out How Do I Close Out A Booking? for additional information.